Pumpkins and Your Health
The health benefits of this Autumn squash + recipes
‘Tis the season! No, the holiday’s aren’t quite here yet, but it is the most wonderful time of year — according to me that is. This is the time of year when the leaves turn into a vibrant showcase of oranges and reds, when the air gets crisp, and the smell of pumpkin spice is upon us.
Pumpkin is not only a signature staple of the season for its taste, but the nutritional benefits of this squash make it a super food worth eating often! Pumpkin contains a high percentage of:
- Vitamin A which aids in vision
- Fiber which helps you to digest your food effienciently and absorb nutrients into the body
- Potassium to help you to refuel after a workout and feel full for longer, helping to shed pounds.
Want to feel the benefits for yourself? Check out these yummy Get Fit with Britt recipes below!
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats: Prepare the night before. Combine uncooked rolled oats, chia seeds, pumpkin puree, almond milk and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add your favorite nuts and fruit to taste (I like walnuts and dried cranberries, or pecans and chopped green apple), mix in small bowl and place in fridge overnight.
Mid Morning Snack:
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie: Blend almond milk, chia seeds, pureed pumpkin, blackstrap molasses, frozen ripe banana, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, pure maple syrup, ice cubes until smooth.
- Ginger Pumpkin Butternut Squash Soup: Chop organic pumpkin and butternut squash into cubes, and boil until tender. Puree with ginger powder, maple syrup, Himalayan pink sea salt, cinnamon, fresh sage, almond milk and water until it reaches the desired thickness (adding in Almond Milk / Water to liquefy).
Mid Afternoon Snack:
- Super Food Trail Mix: Combine raw and unsalted almonds, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), cashews, pistachios, dried cranberries, goji berries, raw cacao nibs.
- Pumpkin and Kale Mash-Up: Roast organic pumpkin combined with garlic, parsley, olive oil, sea salt, kale. Garnish with hemp seed and nutritional yeast.