Summer Skincare Tips
Ten essential tips to looking your best all summer long.
Lori Fagan and Elle Murphy of Ellela Cosmetics
While we are all thrilled to have winter behind us, let's not forget that summer heat and humidity can wreak havoc on our skin. For the top tips for keeping our complexions looking their best I called on makeup artist extraordinaire Elle Murphy. Elle works with celebs in TV, fashion and entertainment and is the go-to in Greenwich for a super-fresh face that lasts.
1. To keep skin firm, hydrated, and oil-free in the summer heat, try a seaweed facial or clay mask. Your skin will love you, and your makeup will too, as it helps makeup last longer in the heat. Less oily skin means longer lasting makeup.
2. Don't over-do it with products. My favorite skincare line is Repêchage. It's the only product you need for your skin. The main ingredient is seaweed harvested from (clean!) seawaters off the Brittany Coast of France. Seaweed is proven to be beneficial for a number of skin conditions; sensitive, dry, oily and combination skin and it contains intensive anti-aging ingredients.
3. As an Irish girl with freckly skin, sunscreen is my best friend. For those on a budget, I recommend Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid-Lotion Sunscreen, $12. For a little more luxury, I’m a little bit partial to Chanel’s UV Essentiel Complete Sunscreen, $55 (my fav!)
4. Swap heavy foundations for tinted moisturizers and BB Creams.
5. Steer clear of waterproof mascara. It's drying to your lashes and requires more rubbing and tugging on the eye area to remove it. Look for water-resistant mascara or try a coat of clear mascara over your regular mascara to seal it.
6. Use a primer under your makeup to get a lasting finish. Try Normaderm Total Mat by Vichy Labs, $25 it’s known as the 'blotting paper effect'!
7. Heading to a fun party or a hot date on a summer night? To avoid having unattractive sweat around the forehead or upper lip, dab a little clear, solid deodorant on. Yes ladies, this really works!
8. Want a dewy fresh-looking face? Dab a little Smiths Minted Rose Balm, $7 on the apples of your cheeks, looks great over bronzer.
9. Keep your tinted moisturizers, face creams and eye creams in the fridge. They feel so good on a hot summer day!
10. Last but not least, don't forget your lips. My favorite lip scrub is brown sugar, lemon, vitamin E oil or balm, and warm water.
- Dampen lips with warm water
- Put a little brown sugar and squeeze of lemon on a cotton square and gently rub lips
- Remove with warm water, and add a dab of vitamin E oil or balm.
Homemade, simple and effective. Do this at night before bed and wake up with smooth, kissable lips all day.
I also recommend my own brand of ELLELA Perfection Lip Glaze. It comes in four stunning colors anyone can wear. Everyone loves it because it’s the perfect sheer gloss with SPF 15, vitamin E, and is Paraben-free. I cannot keep it on the shelves, we sell out every time. Excellent to wear over your favorite lipstick or alone for a luscious touch of shine and color. It's perfect to wear at the beach and not have to worry about lip burn too!
Ellela Cosmetics is one of Greenwich's best kept secrets. Elle is a master when it comes to make-up application, going as far as developing her own line of makeup. The salon offers a wide range of facials, eyelashes and brow services as well as a full service hair salon run by partner Lori Fagan. One step inside the studio you will feel transported to a Parisian parlor — feminine, warm and welcoming. Elle and Lori make all their clients feel at right at home offering custom treatments and highly personalized service.
16 Greenwich Avenue, 2nd Floor, Greenwich