Join us at Westport Historical Society on Tuesday, June 19, from 7 to 8 pm, when Alexander Heffner will discuss the tenth anniversary publication of his and Richard D. Heffner’s book, A Documentary History of the United States.
A Documentary History tells the story of how America was forged through the documents, speeches, and letters created by the country’s most impactful figures. The book includes important documents such as:
• The complete text of the Declaration of Independence
• The complete Constitution of the United States
• The Emancipation Proclamation
• Woodrow Wilson’s War Message to Congress
• Franklin D. Roosevelt’s “Four Freedoms” Speech
• John F. Kennedy’s Inaugural Address
• Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” Speech
• Documents relating to September 11, 2001 and the Iraq War
The new chapter “Populists Revolt…Democracy Under Duress” explores the presidency of Donald Trump and the digital age through critical documents shaping historical and contemporary America.
Alexander Heffner is host of The Open Mind on PBS. He has covered American politics, civic life and Millennials since the 2008 presidential campaign. His work has been profiled in The Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Variety, Medium, and on NBC News, MSNBC, C-SPAN, NPR, CNN, BBC, ABC and NY1, among other media outlets. His writing has appeared in TIME, USA TODAY, Daily Beast, Reuters, RealClearPolitics, NYT’s Room for Debate, The Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe and Philadelphia Inquirer, among other publications. He was the political director for WHRB 95.3 FM and host of The Political Arena. A native New Yorker, he is a graduate of Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts and Harvard.
Register online at www.westporthistory.org to save your seat. Light refreshments will be served. Suggested Admission: $10 Members, $15 Non-Members
- Sponsor: Westport Historical Society
- Contact Name: Barbara
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Website: westporthistory.org